[mythtv-users] Struggles with mythgame on pi3

Rob bertaboy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 00:11:31 UTC 2017

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Rob <bertaboy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2017 11:08 PM, "Stephen Worthington" <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 22:36:03 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 10:21 PM, Rob <bertaboy at gmail.com> wrote:

> very
> >>>

> >> Mind if you give me a pointer for launching EmulationStation from within
> >> Myth?  I've added the following to a menu config, but I can't see
> >> on screen or anything registered in a log file:
> >>
> >>      <button>
> >>        <type>GAME</type>
> >>        <text>Emulation Station</text>
> >>        <action>EXEC /usr/bin/emulationstation</action>
> >>     </button>
> >>
> >> I'm able to execute emulationstation manually from the terminal, but no
> >> dice when trying through Myth....
> >>

> >Not to beat a dead horse here, but is anyone able to share / point me to a
> >working script that shuts down lightdm and launches ES?  Also, how did you
> >work out getting ES to restart lightdm when you exit it?  I don't mean to
> >sound like an idiot, but I'm still not that familiar with Debian-based
> >systems.  I've tried lifting a script from some KODI work, but that just
> >seems to restart X....
> >
> >Thank you,
> >Rob
>
> Since Debian is using systemd now, I would think that shutting down
> lightdm would be the same as on Ubuntu:
>
> systemctl stop lightdm
>
> and restarting it would be:
>
> systemctl start lightdm
>
> After starting lightdm, if you are not set up to be automatically
> logged in, you will get the login screen.  Shutting down lightdm will
> shut down X and all programs running under it.
>

> Right, I've had no problems getting ES to start when I should into the pi,
> but I haven't been able to figure out a script that I can get working
> correctly from Myth's menus. As a point of context, the only input devices
> taking directly to the pi are flirc (with av receiver's remote controller)
> and dualshock 3 controllers (either through Bluetooth or USB). The pi is in
> a separate room from the tv and stored away in a cabinet with the rest of
> my av gear and the only ways I interact with it are through these 2 input
> decides or ssh.
>
>  I've been getting by with executing emulationstarion via ssh, but it's
> not as convenient as I'd like and fails the WAF

I've finally cracked this nut, courtesy of this article
http://www.aoakley.com/articles/2016-12-29-raspberry-pi-retropie-pixel-desktop.php

In a nutshell:

Step 1: install ttyecho
curl -O "http://aoakley.com/articles/artifacts/retropie-pixel/ttyecho" &&
sudo mv ttyecho /usr/local/sbin && sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/sbin/ttyecho
&& sudo chown root.root /usr/local/sbin/ttyecho
Step 2: modify the theme (in my case, .mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/library.xml
) with the following:
 <button>
        <type>GAME</type>
        <text>Emulation Station</text>
        <action>EXEC `sudo su -c "systemctl stop lightdm ; ttyecho -n
/dev/tty1 \"emulationstation ; sudo systemctl start lightdm\""`</action>
     </button>

Now my wife can play Donkey Kong 2 and satisfy her Diddy Kong cravings!