[mythtv-users] Failed Recordings

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 12:23:56 UTC 2017

On Oct 14, 2017 8:14 AM, "Peter Bennett" <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

On 10/14/2017 07:02 AM, Craig Huff wrote:

I caught it happening this morning.  I browsed to the tuner on the LAN and
manually forced a "re-tune" (for lack of a better term) and when I went
back to Myth, the recording was capturing data.

If you're familiar with the web interface for the Ceton, what I did was go
to the tuner (#1) that was supposed to be doing the recording, clicked on
the "tune" button, selected the first choice in the "program" list, clicked
on the "set program" button, clicked on the set channel button, then near
the bottom of the form I changed the state from stopped to started.

This makes me think that the tuning operation failed in some fashion when
Myth attempted it, although enough of the settings were correct that I
could get it to start manually (especially that the destination ip, port,
and protocol were set correctly).  I will look into seeing if there's a way
to make the tuning command(s) go out a second time, perhaps with a few
seconds delay between tuning attempts.  IIRC, the tuning for the Ceton
tuners isn't done by calling a support program, so I may not have any means
to do this.

Since the Ceton box is on all the time (in other words it hasn't just
powered up when this problem occurs), any thoughts on why the tuning failed
this time and why tuning failures seem to happen only for the first program
after the Myth backend wakes up for scheduled recordings and even then not
every instance fails?

--
Craig.

Hi Craig

Do you restart your Ceton occasionally? I have a Ceton eth 6 with cable
card. There is a memory leak in the firmware and there may be other bugs,
so I reboot it once a week. I have a script that does this. I also have a
cooling fan underneath it as it gets rather hot. I have never had a failed
recording in several years that I have had it.

If you need more info about the reboot script or the cooling fan let me
know.

Peter

Could it be not enough time to wakeup and do a file system check before
recording, this would give an occasional problem.