[mythtv-users] Struggles with mythgame on pi3

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Oct 13 03:08:06 UTC 2017

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 22:36:03 -0400, you wrote:

>On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 10:21 PM, Rob <bertaboy at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I haven't used mythgame in a long time....try retropie! It is easy to
>>> start from the myth menu and is designed for the pi specifically! Also very
>>> easy to configure game pads for many systems!
>>>

>> Mind if you give me a pointer for launching EmulationStation from within
>> Myth?  I've added the following to a menu config, but I can't see responses
>> on screen or anything registered in a log file:
>>
>>      <button>
>>        <type>GAME</type>
>>        <text>Emulation Station</text>
>>        <action>EXEC /usr/bin/emulationstation</action>
>>     </button>
>>
>> I'm able to execute emulationstation manually from the terminal, but no
>> dice when trying through Myth....
>>

>Not to beat a dead horse here, but is anyone able to share / point me to a
>working script that shuts down lightdm and launches ES?  Also, how did you
>work out getting ES to restart lightdm when you exit it?  I don't mean to
>sound like an idiot, but I'm still not that familiar with Debian-based
>systems.  I've tried lifting a script from some KODI work, but that just
>seems to restart X....
>
>Thank you,
>Rob

Since Debian is using systemd now, I would think that shutting down
lightdm would be the same as on Ubuntu:

systemctl stop lightdm

and restarting it would be:

systemctl start lightdm

After starting lightdm, if you are not set up to be automatically
logged in, you will get the login screen.  Shutting down lightdm will
shut down X and all programs running under it.