[mythtv-users] Failed Recordings

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Oct 13 03:03:19 UTC 2017

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 20:02:43 -0500, you wrote:

>I have a number of recordings that appear to be missing including one from
>today and one last night.  This started happening about two months ago, but
>nothing has changed on my system in months.  From what I can find in the
>logs, the tuning operation occurs and at least 20 seconds later, when the
>commflagging job is put in the job queue, there is an error message that
>the file to be processed can't be found.  I have checked to see if the
>files got put somewhere strange, but came up empty.  Other recordings go
>off without a hitch.  My recording program source is a Ceton infiniTV 6
>with a cable card.  I recently increased the udp read buffer settings, but
>I've had some of these failures occur since then, so I suspect that the
>problem isn't related to the udp read buffer settings.
>
>It seems to happen especially to the first program after the system is
>woken up, but in random spurts.  I have configured the system to wake up
>nominally three (3) minutes before a scheduled recording is to occur.
>There can be weeks with no problems and then I'll have a failure in the
>morning and another in the evening on the same day.  I use this system
>exclusively for MythTV, so many times there are only unattended recordings
>going on, not even a terminal session or a show being played back on the
>backend or the remote frontend.  (Note that the frontend is only powered on
>when used to play back recordings and I've been busy with other things way
>too much, lately.)
>
>FWIW, my changes to the udp buffer settings were to set:
>net.core.rmem_default=502938
>net.ipv4.udp_rmem_min=502938
>in case these weren't increased enough.
>
>I'm not really sure where to look nor what to look for at this point.  Any
>advice would be appreciated.

I have had that happen to me (with a very different setup) when my
satellite provider has reorganised the channels a bit and I needed to
scan them again.  So the channel I was attempting to record was no
longer where the database said it was - it had moved to a different
frequency.  The DVB-S2 card tuned to the old frequency and tried to
record the streams for that channel, but they were never found, so no
data was ever sent to mythbackend.  But in that situation, mythbackend
just keeps on waiting for data, although it does mark the recording as
failing.

So, is the problem happening on recordings for one specific channel?
Or a few channels, but always the same ones?