[mythtv-users] Rsync test system

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 18:50:52 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-06 12:24 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:

> Thanks Peter this looks good, as far as copying the system, but I want to
> end up with a dual boot system so editing the /etc/fstab, to change the
> first boot drive is probably not for me. After the copy I'm tempted to then
> run update-grub, is this too easy? I could edit /etc/default/grub to change
> boot order as required. I want this setup in place for more than just 0.28
> to 0.29 Also for all future system and myth upgrades.
> Its occurring to me that I will have to edit /etc/fstab to auto mount the
> new partition. Am I missing anything else?

@Daryl based on your questions so far it appears to me that you may not
have a full understanding of how to set up a dual boot system.

If keeping your existing MythTV installation in working order is
important to you, then I highly recommend you make a complete image
backup of the entire drive before you begin trying to set up a dual boot
system.

Then you can try out different things with the knowledge that you can
restore back to your original MythTV configuration.

To make the recovery process simpler, I recommend purchasing a second
hard drive so that you can clone your MythTV drive to the new drive.
Then try removing the original drive and configuring your computer to
boot from the new drive.  If you are unable to get that to work, then at
least you should be able to swap the original drive back in to get back
to your original MythTV configuration.

Curtis