[mythtv-users] Starting mythfrontend with systemd?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 12:57:45 UTC 2017

wrote:

> The following should be a suitable start:
>
>         [Unit]
>         Description=the open source DVR, MythTV
>         After=graphical-session.target
>         BindsTo=graphical-session.target
>
>         [Service]
>         Environment=DISPLAY=%i
>         ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythfrontend
>
>         [Install]
>         WantedBy=graphical-session.target
>
> This should start mythtv when you log in (WantedBy) and kill mythtv when
> you log out (BindsTo). Save this as /etc/systemd/system/mythtv at .service,
> then run "systemctl enable mythtv@:0.service" for display :0.
>
> All information cadged from https://bitbucket.org/KaiSforz
> a/systemd-user-units/wiki/X-Applications

That's pretty cool but I have two questions...

This will start mythfrontend for ALL users, not just a specific one right?

I have a "mythuser" login and use the session preferences to start the
frontend which always works for me so luckily I don't have this problem...
I wouldn't want mythfrontend to load if I login as another user...

Wouldn't you want to add mythbackend to the "After" command? I know there's
still issues with it not necessarily being ready to accept connections even
if systemd thinks it's up, but it could help.

Thanks,
Richard