[mythtv-users] Controlling MythTV with Flirc: Assigning multiple buttons to same key

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 3 20:46:01 UTC 2017

On 4 October 2017 6:52:08 am Jay Foster <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> On 10/3/2017 1:10 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Ian,
>>
>> Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 9:49:21 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 3:19 PM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com>wrote:
>>>

>>> On 10/3/2017 12:13 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
>>>

>>> To my fellow Flirc'ing MythTVers
>>>

>>> Just trying to configure the Flirc  and I'm a little confused
>>> as how to assign multiple buttons on my remote to the MythTV
>>> keybindings using the Full Keyboard setup.
>>>

>>> For example, Both the left arrow key and the circular arrow
>>> key in Myth are "left" but I can only assign the left arrow
>>> key on the flirc setup keyboard to one button. Or how Pause
>>> and Play are both P but again can't seem to do that in Flirc.
>>>

>>>   Or am I missing something?
>>>

>>> I had the same issue with the flirc that you are having.  IMHO, it
>>> is designed backwards.  It should work where you press a key on the
>>> remote and then assign which keyboard character (key) to use for
>>> it.  But I seem to recall that the configuration was the other way
>>> around (you selected a keyboard key and then which remote button to  use
>>> for it).
>>>       Then again, I might have been doing it wrong.
>>

>>> That's what I'm facing. If I load the Full Keyboard I can only
>>> assign one button to, say, P. But both Pause and play can be P. I
>>> know Flirc is supposed to be easier than ir-keytables but unless I'm
>>> missing something terribly simple, I'm stalled.
>> P is the toggle between play and pause
>> ctrl-P = play
>>
>> So put P under pause and ctrl-P under play
>>
>> Tot mails,
>>    Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>>
>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>
>> De lerende Mens

> When I tried using the flirc, I wanted to use the P key for more than
> one button on the remote.  The remote had more than one play and pause
> buttons.  Also, there are other keys with similar issues, such as the
> arrow keys (used for navigation, skip forward/back, etc.).

Sorry but I just don't remember if I had that problem and how I got around
it. I definitely have both play and pause on my tennis working and IIRC  I
just mapped them both to p. But it was a long time ago.

A quick work around would be to add a new unused key to the myth keybinding
and then map that. ie so play = p, pause = q. (presuming q is currently
unused I don't recall).