[mythtv-users] Surprised by upgrade!

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 21:20:37 UTC 2017

On 30/11/17 19:53, Gerald Brandt wrote:

> I decided to do the 16.04 upgrade today. The winning streak was
> destroyed. Apparently, mysql doesn't like being upgraded from 5.5 to
> 5.7, and nothing would run. I reverted back to my 14.04 (thanks
> clonezilla) and all is well. I'll have to upgrade mysql to 5.6 first.
>
> Gerald
>

> On 2017-11-30 10:50 AM, Marlon Buchanan wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 7:36 AM, Gerald Brandt <gbr at majentis.com
>> <mailto:gbr at majentis.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     On 2017-11-29 02:14 PM, Gerald Brandt wrote:
>>
>>         I just upgraded a MythBunbtu 12.04 backend to 14.04. The
>>         upgrade went incredibly smooth, no issues and no errors. I'll
>>         leave it here for the day and try a 16.04 upgrade tomorrow.
>>         If that works, I'll move from 0.27 to 0.28.
>>
>>         Gerald
>>
>>         ps: I had to tell someone about the clean upgrade... it's the
>>         first clean one on this server (started at 8.04, I think),
>>         and the wife wouldn't understand.
>>

>>     I just went from .27 to 29 on 14.04. Again, flawless. Wow!
>>
>>     Tomorrow, I try to get up to 16.04, then I don't have to worry
>>     about it again for a few more years.
>>
>>     Gerald
>>

>> I use Kubuntu, and am currently on 14.04. I upgraded to .29 a couple
>> of months ago and only had a few small issues with metadata lookups
>> that were fairly easily solved. I would have upgraded to 16.04 but I
>> saw this:
>>
>> https://kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-16-04-3-lts-update-available/
>>
>> I don't know if I'm the average  user, but I didn't feel like dealing
>> with it at the time and 14.04 is working fine for me. I have about 7
>> systems that would need upgrading, 2 with tons of customizations way
>> beyond myth that I have running. I'll pass for now. Might try
>> upgrading one of my low priority frontend only systems over the
>> holidays just to see how it goes.

When upgrading to mysql 5.7 it will not run, if you have  a file named
mythtv-tweaks.cnf in /etc/mysql/conf.d/  with an entry 'table_cache =
128', it can be replaced with 'table_open_cache=128' or commented out.
Refs:
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1935&p=9395#p9395
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2094&p=10386&#p10386

Mike