[mythtv-users] when and how to upgrade to 0.29

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 12:35:43 UTC 2017

On 26/11/17 10:39, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> So I have a healthy mythtv backend working on mythbuntu 16.04 with
> 0.28 with all the latest 0.28 updates. My tuners are Hauppauge
> HVR-2250 and HD HomeRun Connect; all ATCS OTA recording.
>
> Since I have cut the cord from satellite TV I depend on mythtv more
> than ever.  So I need upgrading to 0.29 to not cause any issues.  So
> it brings up a few questions:
>
> 1.  Should I upgrade to 0.29; what benefit would I get other than I'm
> assuming future work will be done on 0.29 and not 0.28?
>
> 2.  I don't record much during the day so I would have 8 hours during
> most days that the backend would be idle. I'll assume that's enough
> time, easily.
>
> 3. Is the process:
>
>     do an additional database backup and save it to a USB memory stick.
>
>     sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.29
>
>     sudo apt update
>
>     sudo apt upgrade

For 2:
The upgrade does not normally take very long, a few minutes in my
experience. some of the  time could be taken in downloading the new
version depending on speed of  your internet connection.

For 3:
You need to do sudo apt dist-upgrade, instead of sudo apt upgrade when
upgrading to the next mythtv version, I also suggest a reboot after the
new version has been installed.
If you have any other frontends they will need to be upgraded as well
(protocol versions are different between 0.28 and 29, a 0.28 frontend
will not work with a 29 backend).

Mike