[mythtv-users] I think I'm loosing my mind

David Hampton mythtv at love2code.net
Fri Nov 24 20:02:20 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-11-22 at 02:38 +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 12:19:25 +0000, you wrote:
>
> > I know I have one Vizio TV in another room that is connected to my
> > backend and when I turn that TV on the screen is blue and says no
> > signal.  I have to do CTL-ALT-F2 to get it to wake up and then I
> > login
> > and restart lightdm to fix it.
> >
> > I need to do some more research.
> >
> > Jim A
>
> This particular problem where a MythTV box will not connect again
> after a TV has been off (or in standby or unplugged) is usually able
> to be fixed by copying its EDID data and getting the Nvidia drivers
> load the copied EDID data instead of trying (unsuccessfully) to get
> it
> from the TV.  Presuming, of course, that you are using an Nvidia
> card.
> It may also work the same way with other drivers, as it seems to be a
> problem at the TV end that causes it.

I fixed this a couple of years ago on my system, and I think it was
just tweaks to the Xorg configuration.  IIRC, I had to tell it to
always use the DFP-1 interface, or it would switch away to some other
interface when the TV was turned off.  See the 'Device' section of the
attached config.  The options in the 'Monitor' and 'ServerLayout'
sections prevent the display from ever going to sleep.

David

===== /etc/X11/xorg.conf =====

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Default Device"
	Driver	"nvidia"
	Option	"DPI"	"100x100"
	Option	"NoLogo"	"1"
	Option	"ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
	Option	"UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	DefaultDepth	24

        Option "metamodes" "DFP-1: 1920x1080 { ViewPortIn=1920x1080,
ViewPortOut=1860x1060+30+10 }"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "Monitor0"