[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase not updating since last week's boot

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Nov 24 02:13:04 UTC 2017

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 18:59:59 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi Folks!
>
>> Run Wireshark as sudo or from root.
>Steve: did get it configured with chmod +x /usr/bin/dumpcap.  I thin k I
>tried sudo but can't recall.
>
>Bill:
>>> ...OK, "Wire_02.pcapng" is uploaded at https://pastebin.com/SKW0gzzs
>>> I scanned for user and password and didn't find any, which seems like a problem.
>> The pastes (as you suggested earlier) aren't readable. You can print the
>> capture and save it as a text file and pastebin that. Or, you can just
>> look for a line similar to:
>>
>>       Authorization: Basic c2RteXRoxxxxNjpjYXBDQVQ0MxxxNDE0MQ==
>
>Presumably that line is supposed to be  in the "Info" column; didn't see
>anything close.  'Find' looks for packets and -- ah! no, still not find
>'authorization' nor 'basic' but did find out it wants the whole word.
>
>And played a little more and Wireshark's find doesn't work like a text
>editor's find.
>

>Presuming since not getting/transmitting an authorization that's why I'm
>not connecting and won't get the following:
>> The connection uses basic authentication, so you won't see your
>> password in clear text. But I'd change some of the hex anyway
>> before pasting.
>>
>> You should then see a Continuation and if you look at the data
>> see something like:
>>
>> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
>> <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
>> xmlns:SOAP-ENV='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'
>> xmlns:xsd='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema'
>> xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
>> xmlns:SOAP-ENC='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/'>
>> <SOAP-ENV:Body>
>> <ns1:download  xmlns:ns1='urn:TMSWebServices'>
>> <startTime xsi:type='xsd:dateTime'>2017-11-21T16:19:00ZZ</startTime>
>> <endTime xsi:type='xsd:dateTime'>2017-12-08T16:19:00ZZ</endTime>
>> </ns1:download>
>> </SOAP-ENV:Body>
>> </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>
>
>Now to figure out how to save it as a text file!  (I know: RTFM! <g>)
>
>Barry

To reduce the data that Wireshark is capturing to just the essentials,
in the "Capture...using this filter" box put:

host 54.85.117.227

That will cause Wireshark to filter out all data except that being
sent to or received from IP address 54.85.117.227
(dd.schedulesdirect.org).  You can then save the capture to a file
with File > Save as.  Be aware that the file will likely contain your
user id and password, so you do not want to just make that binary
.pcapng capture file available on the net.  So the best idea is if you
can analyse the file yourself.  However, if you want to be able to
post a readable version for us to look at, you can do that with
tshark, which is the command line version of wireshark.  You will need
to install the tshark package to get it:

apt install tshark

This command will give a condensed output of the traffic for you to
look at:

tshark -tad -r capturefile.pcapng

And this will save the result to a text file that can be edited to zap
out the user id and password and then be posted:

tshark -tad -r capturefile.pcapng >capturefile.txt

This will do the same but give a fully detailed dump of the packets
(much as the fully expanded display of a packet does in wireshark):

tshark -tad -V -r capturefile.pcapng >capturefile_detailed.txt