[mythtv-users] xmltv + DVB-EPG to re-schedule moved shows like VPS?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Wed Nov 22 15:41:10 UTC 2017

Zitat von Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com>:

> On 22 November 2017 6:40:21 pm Philipp Hahn <pmhahn+mythtv at pmhahn.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm living in Germany and us "tv_grab_eu_epgdata" to get schedule data.
>> The grabber rungs around 08:00 in the morning. If some important events
>> occur on the current day "breaking news" are inserted, which move shows
>> to later time. I already start 5 minutes early and run 5 minutes late,
>> but sometimes that is not enough.
>> In the good old times with analogue VCRs there was VPS (Video
>> Programming System), which allowed to recorder to re-schedule itself.
>> Can MythTV do something similar with the DVB-EPG data (or whatever)?
>>
>> Philipp
>
> My approach has been to just schedule a 4 hourly cron job to call
> mythfilldatabase.

That's not an option for the eu_epgdata grabber, because it has rate
limits. It's not really possible to run it more than once a day.

I've asked myself (and IIRC this list too) exactly the same when I
started using MythTV many years ago. The problem with this approach
is, that the DVB EPG data isn't necessarily more current than what's
provided by external EPG data. I've scheduled mythfilldatabase to run
on the early evening then, though this didn't help too much either.

I recently switched to Schedules Direct, even though I'm still the
maintainer of eu_epgdata. Their data is more correct, more complete,
and the access is much faster (updating 20 day is a matter of minutes,
not of half an hour). The price is the same. Unfortunately that still
doesn't solve your issue with short-term EPG changes.

I guess it all boils down to upstream providers providing the updated
data quick enough.

--
Jan Schneider
The Horde Project