[mythtv-users] I think I'm loosing my mind

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Tue Nov 21 15:15:22 UTC 2017

> On Nov 21, 2017, at 8:38 AM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 12:19:25 +0000, you wrote:
>
>> I know I have one Vizio TV in another room that is connected to my
>> backend and when I turn that TV on the screen is blue and says no
>> signal.  I have to do CTL-ALT-F2 to get it to wake up and then I login
>> and restart lightdm to fix it.
>>
>> I need to do some more research.
>>
>> Jim A
>
> This particular problem where a MythTV box will not connect again
> after a TV has been off (or in standby or unplugged) is usually able
> to be fixed by copying its EDID data and getting the Nvidia drivers to
> load the copied EDID data instead of trying (unsuccessfully) to get it
> from the TV.  Presuming, of course, that you are using an Nvidia card.
> It may also work the same way with other drivers, as it seems to be a
> problem at the TV end that causes it.
>
> Here is how to copy the EDID data for Nvidia drivers:
>
> http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3571/~/managing-a-display-edid-on-linux
>
> When using that page, make sure to start the Nvidia tools mentioned
> from a root prompt or with sudo, so that they have permission to write
> to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
> ____

Since I’m using Intel GFX, I’ll need another solution, but when I keep the NUC plugged into the 1 x 2 spitter and AVR I never have to do anything because the NUC is powered 24/7 and the splitter seems to make the NUC think it’s on and working.  So in that config it works.

Now to what I got working. It seemed to be a combination of not rebooting the NUC once everything was connected and the audio settings in the mythfrontend.

Now both TV’s audio and video work when the audio settings unchecked DTS and Dolby Digital and set to stereo. My AVR interprets that and sets up for Dolby Pro Logic.  When I change the mythfrontend audio to DTS, Dolby Digital, and 5.1, the AVR changes to Dolby Digital, but the other TV’s sound goes off.  So I can either live with Pro Logic or change it back and forth.  I just need to leave it in Stereo when I cut off the Family room system so the bedroom TV will work.

Jim A