[mythtv-users] I think I'm loosing my mind

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Tue Nov 21 12:19:25 UTC 2017

On 11/20/2017 09:44 PM, Mark Wedel wrote:
> On 11/20/2017 05:53 PM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> So I have a working FE built on a Core i3- Ivy Bridge NUC in my
>> family room.  It's hooked to a Denon AVR-3313CI which is in turn
>> hooked to a Panasonic Plasma TV. I want to build another FE for the
>> bedroom on the other side of the wall from the family room.  Since we
>> wouldn’t be using both mythtv FE at the same time in both rooms, I
>> thought about just running the HDMI thru a 1 to 2 splitter/duplicator
>> so both TV’s could see the same signal.  I would use Mythmote to
>> control the screen.
>>
>> Once I hooked it up I had video on both TVs but only audio on the
>> system running thru the AV receiver.  I tried taking the NUC into the
>> bedroom and hooking it up to the TV directly, but no Audio, just
>> video. I’ve tried looking through a bunch of settings on the TVs, AV
>> receiver and the NUC. I know I’m missing something.  I thought about
>> the TV having an issue or a cable being bad, but I’ve swapped a lot
>> of that.
>>
>> I went back to my original setup and it works fine.  This kind of
>> stuff drives me to drink.:-)
>
>  Do verify the audio settings (I think in mythtv-setup - been a
> while).  More than likely, since the frontend is going through an AV
> receiver, it may be set for DTS surround or something, that the other
> TV does not support.  So that TV sees an audio signal it does not
> understand, and thus no audio.
>
>  If this is the case, this means you will need to do some additional
> work, or live with reduced quality audio in the family room.
>
>  I have a similar setup to what you describe - 1 frontend, 2 different
> TVs.  In my case, the difference in TVs is more extreme (1080P vs
> 720P), so I have multiple profiles configured, and on my programmable
> remotes, the respective remote for each room also sends a unique key
> with the frontend traps as a global events, which results in it
> running an external script which changs which profile is being used.
>
>  If you are interested in this, I can send along those scripts.

Both my TVs and AVR will support 1080P.  Most devices I connect with a
DTS/ Dolby source will still work on a stand alone TV that is only
Stereo without changes.  I think I don't remember the sequence I did the
testing.  I did not power off the TV when I made the connection.  I'm
going back and test again. I get use to just switching HDMI connectors
to TVs and not powering off.  Maybe theirs an issue.

I know I have one Vizio TV in another room that is connected to my
backend and when I turn that TV on the screen is blue and says no
signal.  I have to do CTL-ALT-F2 to get it to wake up and then I login
and restart lightdm to fix it.

I need to do some more research.

Jim A