[mythtv-users] VAAPI vs. normal vs. OpenGL?

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Mon Nov 20 11:15:08 UTC 2017

Every time I install mythtv 0.28 on any Intel CPU with built in GFX I
check the setup wizard and it always has the Video Profile set to
normal. When I Test the HD on that page it usually works fine.

However, I remember that you use to have to change it to VAAPI or OpenGL
High Quality to get the best performance and lowest CPU utilization.
vainfo says I have VA-API version 0.39 (libva 1.7.0)

What I notice lately is that if I change it to anything except normal,
the FE crashes out of mythtv completely.

Before I submit any logs, etc.  Should I just leave it on Normal for
Intel GFX?

Jim A