[mythtv-users] cutting the cord issues?

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Mon Nov 20 02:55:12 UTC 2017

> On Nov 19, 2017, at 6:28 AM, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 19/11/17 11:50, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>> I just told DirecTV that I'm not paying their ridiculously high price
>> anymore and I'm busy working on alternatives for TV watching.  Obviously
>> I have Mythtv for all my OTA recording and watching live.  I also plan
>> on adding a Roku or 2 for streaming services.
>>
>> All this will put a lot of network traffic on my LAN.  I upgraded my
>> Internet connection to 100Mbs, but I can only get that speed at the
>> modem with a directly connected PC. Through the router connections get
>> only about 50Mbs. So that means I need a better wireless router that
>> also handles LAN traffic well.
>>
>> There are a ton of AP routers on the market at all price points with
>> similar specs. I just wondering if any of you guys have evaluated any
>> and found that they work well on a heavily used network??
>
> Whatever you get, make sure that you can replace its firmware with
> something like LEDE so that you are assured of receiving security
> patches in a timely fashion, and so that you can also track the state of
> the art in software.
>
> For example, open-source platforms such as LEDE are where cutting-edge
> improvements in terms of bufferbloat and wifi queueing are first
> available. You will want those for good streaming and gaming performance.
>
> My own broadband router is a self-assembled little x86 machine (an
> RCC-VE from ADI Engineering) with two Compex radio modules (ath9k and
> ath10k) which runs a regular distro (Debian Jessie). So whereas this is
> obviously not the cheapest way to go it means that you end up with a
> fully functional little server. And it has ample oomph. The fact that
> it's running a regular distro gives me the fastest-possible access to
> security patches. For example: my network was safe against the KRACK
> vulnerability on the day of its announcement.
>
> I also have an alternative (less positive) story. I have an Asus
> RT-N66U, which is very capable and which on paper supports DD-WRT and
> LEDE. But in practice its performance when running open-source firmware
> is stifled by the fact that its Broadcom chipset, in respect of wifi,
> uses a softmac approach which requires an opaque firmware blob from
> Broadcom, and the open-source community has not yet figured out how to
> use that properly. So I have to stick to the factory firmware and have
> to put up with their glacial security patching pace. Meaning that I
> can't risk exposing it to the open internet as my main broadband router.
>
> HTH, Jan

When I was on Centurylink ADSL+ I was only getting 20Mbs but they included WiFi in the modem.  The 100Mbs cable modem has no WiFi so I put an old Linksys E3000 with DD-WRT on it.  It’s slow.  Today I turned on the WiFi in my Apple Time Capsule and put it connected directly to the Cable Modem.  I’m now getting 118Mbs from all hardwired computers and 103Mbs with my Macbook Pro.  So I may not have to do anything immediately.  I may need the newer wireless protocols if I want to add a couple of Roku’s wirelessly.

Jim A