[mythtv-users] cutting the cord issues?

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Sun Nov 19 21:49:49 UTC 2017

 ---- On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 10:50:24 +0000 Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote ----
 > I just told DirecTV that I'm not paying their ridiculously high price
 > anymore and I'm busy working on alternatives for TV watching.  Obviously
 > I have Mythtv for all my OTA recording and watching live.  I also plan
 > on adding a Roku or 2 for streaming services.
 >
 > All this will put a lot of network traffic on my LAN.  I upgraded my
 > Internet connection to 100Mbs, but I can only get that speed at the
 > modem with a directly connected PC. Through the router connections get
 > only about 50Mbs. So that means I need a better wireless router that
 > also handles LAN traffic well.
 >
 > There are a ton of AP routers on the market at all price points with
 > similar specs. I just wondering if any of you guys have evaluated any
 > and found that they work well on a heavily used network??
 >
 > Jim A

my home network is split up.
pfsense running on PCEngines APU1 board with Draytek vigor130 to handle BT's 40meg fibre line
Linksys LAP-N600 (2.4&5ghz)
distributed between two gig switches; netgear ProSAFE GS108Ev3 for behind the tv and a HP Procurve 1810g-24 that work decommisioned so i took advantage of free kit :)

i had enough of messing around with off the shelf stuff. unreliable, and never really kept firmwares coming for security flaws or well known issues... or missing features like custom DHCP options for PXE boot etc.
my setup is rock solid and the pfsense dev team are proactive on fixing stuff.