[mythtv-users] Switching from Frontend/backend to frontend only temporarily

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 10:55:03 UTC 2017

On 18/11/17 22:51, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> So if I build a small miniITX system that is a combined Frontend/Backend/HDHR tuner to use went I’m in my RV, can I easily switch it back to a frontend only when I’m back home and just need the frontend functions using my main backend at home?
>
> What I think I need to do is:
>
> 1. turn off backend so it’s not automatically running at boot.  Maybe use MCC to select FE only in the roles section?
> 2. Change FE IP address for Home BE and password?
>
> Anything else??
>
> Jim A

No need to do anything with MCC and I  suggest you don't, changing roles
is likely to break things!

Assuming you are using Ubuntu based distribution with systemd e.g.
mythbuntu 16.04 you can control mythbackend startup as follows:

1. To stop mythbackend running at boot

sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend
sudo systemctl disable mythtv-backend

2. To enable mythbackend at boot

sudo systemctl enable mythtv-backend
sudo systemctl start mythtv-backend

Note: systemctl automatically looks for the .service extension, so no
need to type it.

You can check if mythbackend is running using either:

ps -A | grep mythbackend

or systemctl status mythtv-backend

You will need to adjust the ~/.mythtv.config.xml file to suit each of
your backends

What I do is setup two config.xml files :
one named local-config.xml, the other named remote-config.xml (each with
appropriate contents) and overwrite config.xml with whichever one I want
to use in ~/.mythtv/

e.g. change to directory cd ~/.mythtv
cp local-config.xml config.xml

Mike