[mythtv-users] Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Nov 17 22:45:28 UTC 2017

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 11:17:40 -0500, you wrote:

>Wow...I'm about to loose my mind here. As noted in a previous thread,
>my old homebrew serial IR receiver appeared to have died. ir-keytable
>worked with that for a very long time and now isn't getting any sign
>of life at all from it.
>
>I just bought an IguanaIR transceiver. I have the support enabled in
>the kernel, as well as the NEC IR protocol:
>
>CONFIG_IR_IGUANA=y
>CONFIG_IR_NEC_DECODER=y
>
>I know for a fact that my remote uses NEC (a Phillips TIVO34), as that
>protocol worked when my serial IR was working.
>
>EVERYTHING looks right here, and I'm just not getting any sign of life
>out of this thing either. ANY suggestions are welcome. I'm about to
>loose it here. This is what I have:
>
>ir-keytable
>Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event5) with:
>        Driver iguanair, table rc-empty
>        Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
>SHARP XMP other
>        Enabled protocols: NEC
>        Name: IguanaWorks USB IR Transceiver v
>        bus: 3, vendor/product: 1781:0938, version: 0x0000
>        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
>Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event0) with:
>        Driver serial_ir, table rc-empty
>        Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
>SHARP XMP other
>        Enabled protocols:
>        Name: Serial IR type home-brew
>        bus: 25, vendor/product: 0001:0001, version: 0x0100
>        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
>
>The first one is the iguana of course. As you see, NEC protocol is
>enabled, which I did with:
>
>echo nec > /sys/class/rc/rc1/protocols
>
>I get nothing at all from "ir-keytables -t", and even from:
>
>od -x /dev/input/event5
>
>It can't be the remote itself, as I have two of them. No way did they
>both crap out at once. I've even tried this on a completely different
>Gentoo system from my frontend.
>
>I even just tried recompiling my kernel without the serial_ir just to
>make sure that wasn't somehow causing issues. Other than obviously
>picking up different device and input paths, I get the same
>behavior...basically nothing at all. Everything here just plain looks
>right, much as it did when my serial receiver was working.
>
>UPDATE: I also have and MCE USB receiver that I bought recently. That
>simply had way too much lag which is why I didn't use it.
>Interestingly, that DOES work with the NEC protocol with "ir-keytable
>-t". Is it possible that the IguanaIR just doesn't work with the NEC
>protocol?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Tom

Comparing your ir-keytable output with mine from my working MCE
remote, the difference I see is the "table rc-empty".  I get "table
rc-rc6-mce".  I am guessing that means that there is no keytable
mapping file configured.  In Mythbuntu 16.04, I have a custom keytable
"rc6_mce" file in /etc/rc_keymaps, edited from the standard version in
/lib/udev/rc_keymaps.  The /etc/rc_maps.cfg file tells the drivers
where to load the keymap file from, so it probably needs an entry in
rc_maps.cfg to map the iguanair driver to a keytable file.  And you
will need to work out which keytable file will work or create one.

The rc_maps.cfg file line should look like:

* rc-iguanair rc_nec_iguanair

and the keytable file would then be "rc_nec_iguanair" and should be in
/etc/rc_keymaps.