[mythtv-users] Desperate: Help with ir-keytable and IguanaIR

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 21:02:54 UTC 2017

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Dave Ulrick <d-ulrick at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017, Tom Dexter wrote:
>
>> ir-keytable
>> Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event5) with:
>>        Driver iguanair, table rc-empty
>>        Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
>> SHARP XMP other
>>        Enabled protocols: NEC
>>        Name: IguanaWorks USB IR Transceiver v
>>        bus: 3, vendor/product: 1781:0938, version: 0x0000
>>        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
>> Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event0) with:
>>        Driver serial_ir, table rc-empty
>>        Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO RC-5-SZ
>> SHARP XMP other
>>        Enabled protocols:
>>        Name: Serial IR type home-brew
>>        bus: 25, vendor/product: 0001:0001, version: 0x0100
>>        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
>>
>> The first one is the iguana of course. As you see, NEC protocol is
>> enabled, which I did with:
>>
>> echo nec > /sys/class/rc/rc1/protocols
>

> I have an IguanaIR that is sort of working with ir-keytable. I had to select
> the RC5 protocol. It was unresponsive with all of the other protocols.
>
> I say it's "sort of" working because with my remotes it has a really
> annoying issue with repeated IR events. That is, if I very briefly press a
> remote button, every once in a while repeated events will pass through to
> mythfrontend. If I set up LIRC to work with devinput, the repeats are no
> longer an issue, but I'd like to not use LIRC because it tends to not
> restart after I wake the PC (a ZOTAC ZBOX) from suspend, and when LIRC
> doesn't come back to life I have to stop mythfrontend, restart LIRC, and
> start mythbackend back up. Upshot: I've been using a wireless USB keyboard
> instead of an IR remote to control mythfrontend.
>
> Dave

If that's true then these things are pretty useless, as the protocol
is specific to the remote. I know for a fact that my Phillips TIVO34
uses the NEC protocol. Even the old DVD remote I just tested as
mentioned above requires the RC6 protocol and not the RC5.

Another note: As a sanity check I got desperate and installed their
Windows client/daemon stuff under Windows 10. I tried the tests listed
here:

http://www.iguanaworks.net/2012/igclient-examples

The results were pretty similar in that it knows there's a device that
(and can get the version), but does NOT receive any signals from the
remote. This is a little fucking crazy. I got a serial port IT working
under Linux literally 14 years ago and it went better than this.

Tom