[mythtv-users] video tearing sometimes

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Mon Nov 13 12:56:27 UTC 2017

<!-- converted from text -->
On 11/12/2017 11:08 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:<br>
> On 13 November 2017 11:07:36 am Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote:<br>
>> While this isn’t specifically a mythtv issue, I’m betting most mythtv users<br>
>> have done this and maybe can help me.<br>
>> My recorded TV plays great on my Mythbuntu 16.04 frontend, a Core i3-3217<br>
>> NUC computer.  but when I exit mythtv frontend and try to play an Amazon<br>
>> Instant Video using either Firefox or Google Chrome I get tearing on high<br>
>> action scenes like camera panning. The video requires DRM on the browsers,<br>
>> but I don’t know if that’s a problem.  I don’t have this issue on similar<br>
>> generations of Macs, or Windows machines.<br>
>> Any ideas?<br>
>> _______________________________________________<br>
> What does top show when playing an Amazon Instant Video and how does that<br>
> compare to when Mythfrontend is playing?<br>
> Once upon a time I remember having to enable / force hardware decoding in<br>
> my Linux browsers. There was a different set of instructions for each IIRC.<br>
> This might give a lead.<br>
I think you are correct about the hardware decoding not working in FF or <br>
Chrome. I found a discussion about using a beta PPA of Chromium with <br>
VAAPI support turned on. I'm going to try that and see.<br>
I'll confirm the problem with top, but I think it's classic software <br>
decode vs. HW.<br>
Jim A<br>