[mythtv-users] BE 2 - Remote Frontends Sluggish on FF

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 21:00:58 UTC 2017

Hi Steve!

Thanks for the detailed instructions -- have been experimenting when
have the time and a slot when the Backends aren't in use.   So far each
time I have a question I get to a point I need help trying to put my
question  into words and it dawns on me what is wrong and I can go on.
So, that's the reason for the delay in responding.

> Each frontend will be creating settings for itself on the new backend
> the first time it connects to it.  So its settings on the new backend
> will be the defaults plus any changes you have done since then.  In
> order to work out whether the frontend settings or the backend are the
> problem, it would be useful to copy the settings for a frontend from
> the old backend to the new backend.  It is possible to do that as long
> as the databases are running the same database schema.  I have not
> been following this thread in detail, so I am unsure if both the
> backends are running the same MythTV version.  If they are, then the
> following procedure should do that.
>
> This command should make a copy of the settings for a frontend on the
> old backend:
>
> mysqldump -u mythtv -p --no-create-info mythconverg settings
> --where="hostname='savaidh'" >savaidh.sql

Stupid amateur mistake #1:  knew this was one line, took me a few tries
to figure out there was a space between "settings" and "--where"!  Used
find-and-replace to swap in your 'savaidh' with my 'T61' (I'm not all
that original when it comes to naming the computers!).

The Lenovo T61 laptop was configured to connect to BE2 -- the backend
I'm having issues with the sluggish Fast Forwarding.  In my case that's
the "T61_backup.sql" (next step).  Originally semi-sort-of did it wrong
because I got confused.  Again, me and not you.

So created the T61.sql on BE1 (the 'good' backend) this morning. ....

> mysql -u mythtv -p
>
> It will as for the password of the new backend database, then give you
> a prompt waiting for SQL commands.  Give it these commands (replacing
> my frontend hostname with yours):
>
> delete * from settings where hostname='savaidh';
> source savaidh.sql
> quit

How many command lines is the above supposed to be?  If three, with just
running line 1 ('delete' through 'semicolon) I get "ERROR 1064 (42000):
You have an error in your SQL syntax; [check manual] for the right
syntax to use near '* from settings where hostname='T61'' at line 1.

If I tack line 2 ('source') to the end of line 1 ('delete') I get the
same error.

Oh-oh! I was going to "get cute" and type "quit works!" but it doesn't!
Noticed with the first run (line 1) I returned to the mysql prompt but
with the line1 + 2 the prompt is now four spaces (or non-displayable
characters) and ->  .  OK: ^C gets me out of that, back to the mysql
prompt and when I type quite it tells me Bye.

Will upload this and restore from the backup.

TIA!
Barry