[mythtv-users] BE 2 - Remote Frontends Sluggish on FF

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 15:48:56 UTC 2017

Hi Roger!

>> Well, hopefully I did this right.? Posted two logs on pastebin at
>> https://pastebin.com/u/Barry_IA :
>>
>> FE_Log??? 244K??? This is the result of mythfrontend -v
>> playback,database > [logfile]
>>
>> FE_Logging??? 12K??? This is the result of mythfrontend > [logfile]
> 2017-11-03 15:32:05.296966 I  VDP: GetFilteredDeint() : xv-blit ->
> 'greedyhdoubleprocessdeint'
>
> That's an unusual configuration. FF/REW might be tipping it over the
> edge.
>
> Bear in mind that the remote frontend gets its settings from the
> backend's database.
> It sounds like BE1 & BE2 have separate databases so the frontend
> playback profile may be different in your comparisons.
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Frontend#Current_Video_Playback_Profile
>
> Compare your settings or the logs of mythfrontend -v playback when
> connected to each backend.

BE1 and BE2 are two separate computers,  both using whatever Mythbuntu
was current at the time based on Ubuntu 16.04.  As for the logs, will
upload to PasteBin shortly -- looks like BE1 (the one with no FF/REW
issues) has a faster response to "VideoBuffers::DiscardFrames".  Also
seeing where the wait time for video buffers is around 100 or so
milliseconds on BE1 (the 'good' Backend) vs. 1000-plus ms on BE2 (the
'sluggish' one.  Guessing that's the pausing I'm seeing but no idea on
the next step.

As for the Wiki page re: Frontend Video configuration, yes -- if the
wrong one will either get an error pop up when trying to watch a show.
Thinking because the pausing occurs with all Frontends connecting to BE2
there's a similar configuration on it (the Backend) I have wrong; just
not going to randomly try things and really screw it up!

...Uploading to https://pastebin.com/u/Barry_IA in a bit....
*BE2*    is    mythfrontend -v playback    with the Frontend connected
to BE2 (the sluggish FF/REW one)
*BE1*    is    mythfrontend -v playback    with the Frontend connected
to BE1 (the 'good' one) but I forgot to update the audio and video
configurations (on the Frontend)
*BE1a*  is    mythfrontend -v playback    with the Frontend connected to
BE1 after configuring the audio and video.

(So also realizing my comment the other day about a script or something
to more easily swap between the two Backends is more complicated that
just copying in the two config.xml files.)

...OK, looks like they're posted.

>> Sub-question: should anything be done with the logs?? The Backend
>> (BE2) has five mythbackend.log's
>> (just .log, .log.1, .log.2, .log.3, .log.4). Log is 10 MB, the
>> numeric's are 11 MB each.? So 54 MB total.? df -h shows I have 53 GB
>> available, so probably not a concern.? Just read a while back about
>> someone screwing up their system when overrun by log files.
> Looks like they're being rotated already so shouldn't be a problem.
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/logrotate

Thanks!  Looks a lot simpler than something I did <mumble> years ago
with a batch file!  (Probably a heck of a lot more efficient -- if
Steve's channel skip routine makes his electric meter spin my antique
batch file would make his meter pop out and fly! <g>)

> BTW, https://www.linuxatemyram.com/ is a useful read.
It is!  And does explain why the two stats weren't jiving.

Thanks!
Barry