[mythtv-users] BE 2 - Remote Frontends Sluggish on FF

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 00:55:19 UTC 2017

Hi Steve!

>>> Why on earth would you be using fast-forward to skip commercials? That
>>> is the old, slow way of doing it, inherited from VCRs.  Some STBs
>>> still only allow doing it that way, due to pressure from the
>>> advertisers.  But in MythTV you just use the skip forward with the
>>> arrow keys.
>> I am using the arrow keys -- thought they were called "FF" and
>> "Rewind".? On a standard U.S. keyboard the > is above the period and I
>> use to FF; < is above the comma and I used to Rewind.? Then there's the
>> 'up-down-left-right' arrow set of the "middle" keypad which will forward
>> or rewind a frame, left and right arrow respectively, or Jump Back with
>> the up arrow and Jump Ahead using the down arrow.
> Those keys *are* the FF and Rewind, not arrow keys.  The left and
> right arrow keys on the keypad are Skip Backwards and Skip Forwards,
> when done outside pause or FF or Rewind.  If done while paused, they
> are frame backwards and frame forwards.  You seem to have missed that
> the left and right arrow keys can be used while playing normally for
> the Skip function.  Using Skip Forwards and Skip Backwards is *much*
> faster than using FF and Rewind to skip commercial breaks.

Agree, I think we just have a terminology issue.  The ">" key (here also
the period key) does do a Fast Forward operation when in Play mode (3x,
5x, 10x, ...120x) and a Frame Advance in  the Pause mode.  And not
disagreeing on the Skip option.  Just a matter of preferences and
habits.  And the ">" is not an 'arrow' key per se but commonly called
that, which can get confusing when trying to distinguish between that
character and the →.

>> Know there is also the 'Z' key.? Years ago had problems with it skipping
>> too far or skipped the programme and started playing? the next
>> commercial so got out of the habit of using "Z". (Did do a quickie test
>> -- may have to get back into that habit!)
> Here in New Zealand we do not seem to have any channels where the
> commercial skip detection is at all reliable, so I have also given up
> using Z and in fact have turned off commercial skip processing (as
> that saves a fair bit of electricity over a year).

I don't think I want to know what the NZ electric rates are!!