[mythtv-users] BE 2 - Remote Frontends Sluggish on FF

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Nov 3 15:52:15 UTC 2017

On Fri, 3 Nov 2017 10:25:08 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Steve!
>

>> Why on earth would you be using fast-forward to skip commercials? That
>> is the old, slow way of doing it, inherited from VCRs.  Some STBs
>> still only allow doing it that way, due to pressure from the
>> advertisers.  But in MythTV you just use the skip forward with the
>> arrow keys.
>
>I am using the arrow keys -- thought they were called "FF" and
>"Rewind".  On a standard U.S. keyboard the > is above the period and I
>use to FF; < is above the comma and I used to Rewind.  Then there's the
>'up-down-left-right' arrow set of the "middle" keypad which will forward
>or rewind a frame, left and right arrow respectively, or Jump Back with
>the up arrow and Jump Ahead using the down arrow.

Those keys *are* the FF and Rewind, not arrow keys.  The left and
right arrow keys on the keypad are Skip Backwards and Skip Forwards,
when done outside pause or FF or Rewind.  If done while paused, they
are frame backwards and frame forwards.  You seem to have missed that
the left and right arrow keys can be used while playing normally for
the Skip function.  Using Skip Forwards and Skip Backwards is *much*
faster than using FF and Rewind to skip commercial breaks.

>Know there is also the 'Z' key.  Years ago had problems with it skipping
>too far or skipped the programme and started playing  the next
>commercial so got out of the habit of using "Z". (Did do a quickie test
>-- may have to get back into that habit!)

Here in New Zealand we do not seem to have any channels where the
commercial skip detection is at all reliable, so I have also given up
using Z and in fact have turned off commercial skip processing (as
that saves a fair bit of electricity over a year).