[mythtv-users] BE 2 – Remote Frontends Sluggish on FF

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Nov 2 03:08:12 UTC 2017

On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 14:01:44 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Folks!
>

>First, thanks for the assistance in the past; has resolved a lot of
>issues. Hopefully can get this one resolved also, probably just
>something simple I don’t understand while trying to do my own
>troubleshooting.
>

>Have two Backends – separate IPs and passwords. Wanting to switch to the
>“new and improved” Backend with better specs and before the old
>Backend’s motherboard fails. The old system is “BE1” and the
>new/replacement is “BE2”. So when a (remote) Frontend looks at BE1 (old)
>it plays nice, Fast Forward through commercials is snappy, all is well.
>Same Frontend on BE2 (new), playback is fine but when hit FF it sits at
>3x for a second or two (same frame), then (say) 20 or 30x and the frame
>is jump-pause-jump-pause – probably takes two or three times as long to
>get through commercials with the new system as the old, which has a lot
>faster processor: BE2: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor – dual core @
>3010.387 MHz, Mythbuntu 64 bit. Did the add ppa for 0.28/
>update/upgrade/reboot steps this morning; didn’t help the FF
>sluggishness problem.

Why on earth would you be using fast-forward to skip commercials? That
is the old, slow way of doing it, inherited from VCRs.  Some STBs
still only allow doing it that way, due to pressure from the
advertisers.  But in MythTV you just use the skip forward with the
arrow keys.  I have it set up so that I get 30 seconds skip on each
right arrow or left arrow, but when I am already skipping forward on
the right arrow, if I skip backwards on the left arrow it only skips
10 seconds back.  Using that, I can skip forwards as many times as I
need to skip the commercials and see program again.  Then I skip back
until I see commercials again and let it play from there.  All that is
extremely rapid and easy compared to using fast forwarding.

To get the 10 s back skip after forward skip, there is a setting
somewhere - it might be the default now.  I can not remember exactly
where it is.  If you set the option (v29) Setup > Video > Playback >
Seeking > Smart fast forwarding, that might be it, but it does not
look quite right.  And I also seem to have lost where the settings are
for the skip sizes, but I believe 30 s is the default.

There is also an option in mythfrontend to skip forwards and backwards
by a specified number of minutes.  Just type the number of minutes (eg
4 or 5 for a commercial break) and the arrow key for the direction
required.