[mythtv-users] Potential issues with Qt 5.7.1?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon May 29 18:07:43 UTC 2017

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 5:36 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie
> <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:
>> On 21/12/16 22:33, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>> Ahh...got it. Thanks for the clarification! I have noticed one issue
>>> on some rare cases where the frontend has crashed. I have my frontend
>>> login configured (as others do in Gentoo sometimes) to respawn via
>>> inittab. Sometimes after a crash, xscreensaver will not exit screen
>>> saver mode as a result of the LIRC remote...just via the keyboard. Is
>>> that related to the issue you're referring to or does that sound like
>>> something else?
>>>

>> Does sound similiar. IIRC the way the xscreensaver code works is it
>> just runs xscreensaver to disable and enable the screensaver, and also
>> uses it to "poke" the screensaver. If the crash occurs after the disable
>> then the screensaver remains disabled.
>>
>> I ended up implementing it because the other old way was using the
>> xdpms calls, and that had stopped working from about Fedora 23. The code
>> thought it had worked, but it never inhibited the screensaver.
>>
>> It's part of my ongoing desire to make mythtv "just work" when it's
>> installed.
>>
>> Regards
>> Stuart
>
> Thanks for the clarification! I'm almost sure I've never seen that
> behavior except after a (rare) crash.
>
> Tom

Replying to this old one for anyone who may run into something
similar: I've been able to fix the issue I had in the event of a
mythfrontend crash where xscreensaver stops responding specifically to
the remote. I found that I could consistently reproduce the issue by
using a kill 9 on mythfrontend. Again, I spawn mythtfrontend from
inittab. I had this in /home/mythtv/.xinitrc:

startfluxbox &
exec /usr/bin/mythfrontend --verbose general --logpath /var/log/mythtv

In turn, fluxbox was starting xscreensaver. During an inittab respawn
of all this, it was apparently starting mythfrontend too
quickly...probably causing xscreensaver to start before mythfrontend
created the new lirc connection. I fixed this by just adding a sleep
before starting mythfrontend:

startfluxbox &
sleep 3
exec /usr/bin/mythfrontend --verbose general --logpath /var/log/mythtv

Now the remote works fine after these respawns.

Happily running dbus-free with Mythtv 0.28 and qt5. However starting
with nvidia-drivers version 381 nVidia apparently made dbus a
requirement for nvidia-settings...ffs. I decided to just bag
nvidia-settings (adding -tools to the gentoo USE settings for
nvidia-drivers). I can't recall the last time I needed to run that
anyway. I monitor GPU temperature using /opt/bin/nvidia-smi which is a
wonderful lightweight CLI program...so I'll give nVidia credit for
that. Escaping the bloat-creep in Linux seems to require endless
vigilance these days though.

Tom