[mythtv-users] bear of little brain

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Fri May 26 13:27:34 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 10:06 PM, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

>   Hi
> could a kind sole explain to me please:
>
> I have an indian film with english subtitles embedded in a mkv container.
> Neither my samsung tv or myth or myth pnp will play the subtitles.
> VLC *does* play them.
>
> I have a film in an avi container  with embedded subtitles. Myth and upnp
> as well as the samsung *do* play the subtitles.
>
> mythtranscode chokes. but ffmpeg (the ubuntu 14.04 sorry about that
> (avconv) version) works without complaint when transcoding from mkv to avi
> container.
> The new avi file does not work.
>
> I am overwhelmed, but what I'm trying to do is play myth with subtitles
>
> Thanks
> James
>
> <SNIP - too big for list>

All of my Videos are in mkv containers.  You definitely need the
mkv*toolnix apps to manipulate them easily.  For forced subs which I am
sure you are referring to probably::

mkvmerge --identify <file>
File '<video>': container: Matroska
Track ID 0: video (MPEG-4p10/AVC/h.264)
Track ID 1: audio (DTS-HD Master Audio)
Track ID 2: audio (DTS)
Track ID 3: audio (AC-3/E-AC-3)
Track ID 4: subtitles (HDMV PGS)
Track ID 5: subtitles (HDMV PGS)
Track ID 6: subtitles (HDMV PGS)

mkvpropedit <video> --edit track:s1 --set flag-default=0 \
  --edit track:s2 --set flag-forced=1 --edit track:s2 --set flag-default=1

s1 is the 1st subtitle track (Track ID 4 from above).  This says make s2
track default and forced and removes default from the s1 sub track.

HTH