[mythtv-users] integrating YouTube

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 24 17:34:56 UTC 2017

On 05/24/2017 12:14 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 12:28:12AM -0600, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
>> [0.28.10 on Fedora 23; combined FE/BE]
>>
>> How do you folks integrate YouTube? I don't want to download and keep
>> recordings, just open Google Chrome and then YouTube from MythFrontend.
>>
>> I've done some Googling and not found any kind of consensus on the (best) way
>> to do this.
> Menu entries?
>
> EXEC fires off a program; you actually want EXECTV which
> indicates that the program is going to take over screen control.
>
> EXECTV 'google-chrome https://youtube.com'
>
> Maybe with --app=https://youtube.com, which doesn't display
> browser toolbars.

Actually, just EXEC is right for this one.  EXECTV requests exclusive
access to one of the local capture devices as long as the EXECTV'ed
program continues running (and mythbackend will ensure it's not used for
recordings--meaning you may miss an upcoming scheduled recording when
you use EXECTV, whether you need that capture device or not).  It wasn't
very clear at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Menu_theme_development_guide#Special_Actions
, so I tried to improve the description a bit.  Feel free to make it
even better, anyone... :)

Since the web browser is pulling video from the web and not from a local
capture device, EXECTV isn't needed.  The EXEC will still stop
mythfrontend from responding to remote/key presses and from updating the
display.

Mike