[mythtv-users] UK DVB radio and pi frontend

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue May 16 15:57:46 UTC 2017

On 16/05/17 16:17, Stefan Davids wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 3:45 pm, Peter Bennett wrote:
>
>> I do not receive any DVB radio here so I am no familiar with it.
>>
>> I tried your sample, on a raspberry pi 3 and i can hear the audio. I
>> played it via "videos" by putting it in the videos directory, which
>> should work the same. I press "I" and i get the info screen which shows
>> the number of minutes playing.  In the playback menu I can select
>> "M,playback, playback data" and see the statistics. There does seem to
>> be a high CPU utilization. Is that the issue?. It shows video as
>> 0x0 at 29.97fps, which is a bit strange. I can jump forward and back in the
>> program without a problem. Skipping to the start of the program - I just
>> type 6 and press left arrow (i.e. go back 6 minutes). That works
>> instantly. How do you do it?
>
> Thanks for looking at this.
>
> My symptoms specifically are that the skip forward 30s (or back) is pretty
> unresponsive (it will do it but delayed and frequently the actual OSD bar
> which shows how far through the recording it is will not appear).  If I
> pause halfway through the recording and save a bookmark the bookmark is
> not where I paused but at some earlier point.  The audio actually plays
> fine though.
>
> The static pictures which appear with UK radio seem to come and go while
> playing (ie sometimes the screen is black sometimes the usual station
> logo picture is displayed) and the Rpi starts getting hot with the
> internal sensor in the low 80s C and the little overheating icon appears.
>
> Normally even HD playback is flawless and the Rpi barely breaks a sweat
> in CPU utilization or reported temperature.
>
> I'd guess this in the log is the source of my problems(?)
>
> May 16 08:06:43 pi-3 mythfrontend: mythfrontend[1197]: E CoreContext videoout_xv.cpp:846
> (InitSetupBuffers) VideoOutputXv: Desired video renderer 'openmax' not
> available.#012#011#011#011codec 'None' makes 'xv-blit,xshm,xlib,' available, using
> 'xv-blit' instead.
> May 16 08:06:43 pi-3 mythfrontend: mythfrontend[1197]: E CoreContext videoout_xv.cpp:612
> (InitXVideo) VideoOutputXv: Could not find suitable XVideo surface.
> May 16 08:06:43 pi-3 mythfrontend: mythfrontend[1197]: E CoreContext videoout_xv.cpp:738
> (InitXlib) VideoOutputXv: Falling back to X11 video output over a network
> socket.#012#011#011#011      *** May be very slow ***
>
> as there's no similar errors when I play with a VDPAU frontend
> for example.
>
>> I am not sure what else to expect. Do I have to enable interactive TV or
>> something to see more? What OSD is slow? I do not see any OSD unless I
>> request one from the menu, and it is not slow.
>>
>> Please explain what the actual issue is.
>
> It's quite possible you can only reproduce this with interactive TV
> turned on (I didn't realise this option affected the pictures with radio
> so I'll try turning it off if it's on next chance for testing I get;
> [...]

I tried Peter's method of playing the file from a video directory.
Sound plays and the arrow keys control skipping, with OSD.  Entering the
editor says 'No seektable'.  I can't rebuild a seektable.  I can't get
the 'interactive tv' display of programme content.  Playback data shows
around 5% cpu on each core, atop shows mythfrontend cpu<5% with a
core2duo running at 1.6GHz and intel i915 video driver.

John