[mythtv-users] UK DVB radio and pi frontend

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Tue May 16 14:45:40 UTC 2017

On 05/16/2017 03:35 AM, Stefan Davids wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone successfully listening to DVB radio in the UK with a myth
> frontend running on a pi?
>
> I have a pi 3 running MythTV Version : v0.28.1-6-g7de03a9 using openmax
> high from http://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/deb/ jessie myth28
> repository which works magnificently in all respects except with DVB
> radio recordings where the OSD becomes very unresponsive and it
> overheats quite rapidly.  The actual audio plays fine but it's a pain
> skipping to the start of the program, etc
>
> There is a 5 minute snippet of Radio 4 here which demonstrates the problem:
>
> https://www.davids.uk.net/~stefan/1704_20170515082400.ts
>
> and the log of playing it is here:
>
> https://www.davids.uk.net/~stefan/user.log.gz
>
> I'm interested in knowing if anyone has had more success (ie are my
> settings wrong in some way), is this a known issue or unknown (and so
> worth me reporting)?
>
> At the moment I'm suspicious the problem is caused by the "radio with
> picures" aspect as openmax doesn't seem to be available according to the
> logs so I'm experimenting with an audio-only recording profile as a work
> around.  Any better workaround advice appreciated.
>
> Happy to rerun it with more debugging if that's helpful too.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Stefan

I do not receive any DVB radio here so I am no familiar with it.

I tried your sample, on a raspberry pi 3 and i can hear the audio. I
played it via "videos" by putting it in the videos directory, which
should work the same. I press "I" and i get the info screen which shows
the number of minutes playing.  In the playback menu I can select
"M,playback, playback data" and see the statistics. There does seem to
be a high CPU utilization. Is that the issue?. It shows video as
0x0 at 29.97fps, which is a bit strange. I can jump forward and back in the
program without a problem. Skipping to the start of the program - I just
type 6 and press left arrow (i.e. go back 6 minutes). That works
instantly. How do you do it?

I am not sure what else to expect. Do I have to enable interactive TV or
something to see more? What OSD is slow? I do not see any OSD unless I
request one from the menu, and it is not slow.

Please explain what the actual issue is.

Peter