[mythtv-users] Automounting USB drives

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Sun May 7 16:29:13 UTC 2017

On 05/07/2017 10:43 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> Mythbuntu 16.04, MythTV .28-fixes
>
> I have three hard drives on external USB 3 mounts that I use for
> archiving old recordings.  They are all listed in /etc/fstab to be
> mounted automatically if present:
>
> LABEL=arc1 /mnt/arc1 jfs relatime,errors=remount-ro,nofail 0 2
>
> That works fine if mythfrontend is not running.  But if mythfrontend
> is running, they all wind up being automounted under /media, on
> something like this:
>
> /media/sdp1
>
> This is extremely annoying, as the /media paths change depending on
> what order the drives are powered up in and what has previously been
> mounted, and the paths are not in the storage group I have set up for
> the drives, which lists them all under /mnt/arc[123].  So I always
> have to remember to shut down mythfrontend before switching them on,
> and inevitably I forget sometimes.
>
> So does anyone know why and how mythfrontend is doing this?  Is there
> an option somewhere I can use to stop it?

In my system, XUbuntu 16.04, USB drives get automounted by the window
manager, and always get the same path /media/username/label. As long as
each partition has a different label the path is always the same for the
same drive. I don't understand why that is different in your case. It
seems that would be easiest for you, the path would always be the same
and it is automatic.

I have never seen mythfrontend have anything to do like this. When you
close mythfrontend is the user still logged in?

I normally add disks In do not want automounted to fstab, like this
UUID=291e762f-14cf-4817-9a10-f725c80fdccb /srv/precise ext4
rw,noauto,users  0  2
That seems to prevent the system from automatically mounting them under
/media. You can mount them manually with a mount command.

Peter