[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime failure

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed May 3 18:02:03 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 5:41 PM, David Hampton <mythtv at dhampton.net> wrote:
> So the full story is that the GFCI on the half-rack in my basement
> tripped around 2am, and the UPS picked up the load until the battery
> ran out.

I am not your electrician, and I am not your
local code inspector, and I have not read
the latest variant of NFPA 70E, but in most
cases, if you need GFCI protection for code
reasons (basements sometimes require GFCI
circuits), you need to be aware that placing
a UPS after the GFCI circuit may be a
violation of the code (for it is not protecting
what you are supposed to be protecting,
which is human lives).

There are ways to address this, but your
electrician and local inspector may need
to review your localities requirements
(some incorporate different variants of
NFPA 70E in their processes, and some
use different processes entirely).

Note that it is not atypical that a UPS will
trip a GFCI circuit due to their internal
designs (some are better and worse than
others).  UPS's are typically (just like
refrigerators) intended to be placed on
dedicated circuits (which then requires
those other mitigations to protect life).

In any case, the 6CC would (if the power
supply was not aged) typically not care
about being power cycled multiple times.