[mythtv-users] OT: The opposite of LIRC

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 20:00:59 UTC 2017

On Mar 18, 2017 3:52 PM, "Peter Bennett" <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

On 03/18/2017 03:12 PM, Ian Evans wrote:

> Thanks for indulging my question for a minute. I have to frequently
> provide phone support to an older relative who sometimes gets confused and
> anxious when dealing with their cable STB. I suddenly thought it'd be great
> if I could control a Pi with an IR transmitter and be able to send discrete
> power codes, etc. So I could say over the phone "I'm putting channel 61 on
> for you."
>
> What sort of Linux library sends IR signals? I know LIRC receives, but
> what's the opposite?
>
> Some nights when I get the calls I would just love to go to a web page and
> pgm in channel 61 at 7pm, channel 8 @8pm.
>
> I think you mean "control an IR transmitter with a Pi". I used an Iguana
IR for that before, and it works well (http://www.iguanaworks.net). I did
not use it with a Pi, but you should be able to compile the drivers from
source and run on a Pi. It does use LIRC, LIRC has abilities to transmit as
well as receive. You can create a parameter file for the Iguana IR by
"recording" from a remote, since the Iguana IR has a receive as well as a
transmit ability. There are probably other similar devices available.

Fun with language. Yes, I was saying that I would like to remotely control
a pi that had an IR transmitter but your sentence is much clearer.

At least I have some ideas now.