[mythtv-users] Recommendations for Myth Frontend on Raspberry Pi?

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 03:29:47 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 6:04 AM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 03/15/2017 02:56 AM, Tom Harris wrote:
>
>> - I had a few crashes of the frontend - but, after looking at the logs I
>> found that it was actually the kernel oom (out of memory) killer killing
>> mythfrontend.
>>   - I changed the GPU memory from 256MB to 128MB for some more head room
>> and playback is fine.  Is there any reason to believe this will be a
>> limitation?  The performance tips in the wiki recommend 256MB and
>> increasing to 320MB if playback was not smooth.
>>
>> You may have problems with the on screen display if GPU memory is to
> small. During playback, try the info screen, the menu and some of the menu
> options to see if you are OK.

I tried this while playing a 1080i MPEG2 program, and I didn’t see much of
a difference in memory usage.  Mythfrontend stays around 66% of my memory
usage.  A little high, but the system is stable.   I remembered I had
installed ‘mythplugins-light’ when I set this up, but don’t use any of
them.  So, I removed that package, and the memory usage dropped to ~50%,
which leaves a lot of head room.

While the memory didn’t go up with the Info menu displayed, the CPU went
from ~40% to ~175%.  Playback was still okay, that was just a little
surprising for a basic UI.