[mythtv-users] Recommendations for Myth Frontend on Raspberry Pi?

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 05:04:11 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 12:46 PM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 9 Mar 2017 16:23, "Tom Harris" <thom.j.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There are a bunch of threads, files, etc. for getting mythfrontend running
> on a Raspberry Pi.  But, some of them appear no longer maintained/updated.
> So, I'm wondering what's the current recommendation for a Pi frontend
> deployment.
>

> This page says it's up to date for 0.28
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

I had some time to set up a new Pi3 frontend this weekend.  I basically
replicated the same experience from when I tried a little more than a year
ago.  1080i was still not usable for me.   It seems like others have this
working.. what am I missing?

My experience was:

1. Spent a lot of time debugging.  This is a recurring theme in my long
experience with MythTV.  I got random frontend hangs, which I thought were
related to video decoding.  But, after much debugging got it down to the
"query_cache" settings in MySQL.  Once I disabled that the frontend became
reliable.

2. US Broadcast MPEG2 @ 720P works great.

3. US Broadcast MPEG2 @1080i does not work well.   I get video playback,
but with frequent audio hiccups and some video hiccups.  The default
de-interlacer setting of 'Advanced (HW)' was quite bad.  When I changed it
to "Fast (hw)' it worked much better -- but still had audio/video hiccups.

MythTV version: 0.28 (up-to-date frontend and backend)
Video Settings: OpenMax normal,  Decoder: Openmax, renderer: openmax, OSD
Renderer: OpenGL; Primary deinterlacer: Fast(HW)
MPEG2 license enabled: verified by command line and CPU load during playback
Output: HDMI @ 1080P on 4K TV

Any tips on reliable 1080i MPEG2 playback?