[mythtv-users] How to get sound out via HDMI

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 17:06:53 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 08/03/17 16:50, Ashu Desai wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hoi Ashu,
>>>
>>> Wednesday, March 8, 2017, 5:40:21 PM, you wrote:
>>>

>>> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com>
>>>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
>>>>

>>> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 6:50 AM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 7:09 AM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
>>>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> On Mar 7, 2017 11:23 PM, "Ashu Desai" <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
>>>>

>>> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> So I checked and there is partial success. The audio now does come
>>>>

>>> It somehow thinks only 3 speakers are attached. And so F-L plays on
>>>>

>>> Pls help...!
>>>>

>>> In the screen shot you showed it also had a selector for the number
>>>>

>>> Karl
>>>>

>>> Sorry - but that didn't do anything.
>>>>

>>> the speake-test did the exact same thing. The sound comes out of
>>>>

>>> No sound comes at all via the rear speakers
>>>>

>>> I think the speaker test was not supposed to be a solution in
>>>>

>>> Yep - I meant that showed the same thing. No change there.
>>>>

>>> So as it stands - the sound isn't coming out of any back speakers
>>>>

>>> Are your receiver/amplifier settings correct *for that input*? Is
>>>>
>>> channels lit up).
>>>

>>> Karl
>>>>

>>> My receiver is set for HDMI - and the input shows all the channels.
>>>>

>>> And like I said - the center sound comes off the F-L, R-L comes off
>>>>
>>> center, LFE comes off F-R, etc
>>>

>>> Is there any setting in alsa where it's supposed to be changed? Anywhere
>>>>
>>> in drivers?
>>>

>>> Is the signal supposed to be PCM? That's what it shows on my receiver as
>>>>
>>> the signal type...
>>>

>>> Se what you can change and what it does! Naming depends in part on the
>>> machine using it.
>>>

>> Nothing I can change about it - just saying that it shows up as type PCM -
>> not sure if that means it's not getting the right signal?
>>
>> I thought PCM was more analog - this is supposed to be digital.
>>
>> PCM stands for Pulse Code Modulation - therefore it is digital.
>
> However, 'digital' can mean different things to different manufacturers
> and what you set at one end of the link may not work with a similar setting
> at the other. The only way to solve these kinds of problems is to
> exhaustively try every combination, even when they don't appear to make
> sense.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

Thanks Mike
That's what I am trying to do. It's hard when I have very limited knowledge
about this - so just trying to figure out where to dig more.

At this point the "amixer" speaker layout may seem to be pointing somewhere
- I gave the output in my email above. Maybe it's just looking for 3
speakers and so trying to channel everything out those 3 speakers?

Not sure.

--
http://about.me/adesai