[mythtv-users] How to get sound out via HDMI

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 17:00:00 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi Ashu,
>
> Wednesday, March 8, 2017, 5:27:37 PM, you wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 6:50 AM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 7:09 AM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 7, 2017 11:23 PM, "Ashu Desai" <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > So I checked and there is partial success. The audio now does come
> > out via HDMI. However, the 5.1 doesn't work.
>

> > It somehow thinks only 3 speakers are attached. And so F-L plays on
> > F-L speaker. Center plays on F-L speaker. F-R plays on F-R speaker.
> > Rear-L plays on F-L speaker and Rear-R plays on F-R speaker.
>

> > Pls help...!
>

> > In the screen shot you showed it also had a selector for the number
> > of channels, which was set to 2 channels. Try toggling that and see
> > if it improves. Also, there is a command-line tool for alsa called
> > speaker-test which can help test your setup independent of MythTV.
> > Try it with "speaker-test -c 6" (the 6 is to indicate 6 channels).
> > You may also have to specify the device with -D.
>

> > Karl
> >

> > Sorry - but that didn't do anything.
>

> > the speake-test did the exact same thing. The sound comes out of
> > center channel only when it thinks it's trying to go to rear and LFE.
>

> > No sound comes at all via the rear speakers
>

> > I think the speaker test was not supposed to be a solution in
> > itself but a way to quickly test wether a change that you've just
> > made in sound settings is better or worse.
> >

> > Yep - I meant that showed the same thing. No change there.
>

> > So as it stands - the sound isn't coming out of any back speakers
> > and not coming out right from the front speakers.
>

> > Are your receiver/amplifier settings correct *for that input*? Is
> > there any way to see how many channels your receiver thinks it is
> > getting from the HDMI? (Mine shows a diagram with the active speaker
> channels lit up).
>

> > Karl
>

> > My receiver is set for HDMI - and the input shows all the channels.
> > the output diagram only shows the front ones - F-L, Center, F-R lit up
>

> > And like I said - the center sound comes off the F-L, R-L comes off
> center, LFE comes off F-R, etc
>

> > Is there any setting in alsa where it's supposed to be changed? Anywhere
> in drivers?
> >

> Through amixer you can rearrange the layout of the speakers, but I
> have no real experience there. I think there was a thread somewhere in
> the past year about that.

Hika
I think THIS may be something that can be doing it! I have zero inkling but
I will search around. The output look like this:

 amixer
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 64
  Mono: Playback 61 [95%] [-3.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Headphone',0
  Capabilities: pswitch penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback [on]
  Front Right: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 255
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 255 [100%] [0.00dB]
  Front Right: Playback 255 [100%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Front',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 64
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 64 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 64 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Front Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Front Mic Boost',0
  Capabilities: volume penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 3
  Front Left: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
  Front Right: 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'Surround',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 64
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 64 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 64 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Center',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 64
  Mono: Playback 64 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 64
  Mono: Playback 64 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Default PCM',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',1
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 31
  Front Left: Capture 9 [29%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 9 [29%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Capture',1
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch penum
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 31
  Front Left: Capture 9 [29%] [0.00dB] [off]
  Front Right: Capture 9 [29%] [0.00dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Auto-Mute Mode',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Disabled' 'Enabled'
  Item0: 'Enabled'
Simple mixer control 'Channel Mode',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: '2ch' '4ch' '6ch'
  Item0: '6ch'
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
  Capabilities: cenum
  Items: 'Rear Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line'
  Item0: 'Line'
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',1
  Capabilities: cenum
  Items: 'Rear Mic' 'Front Mic' 'Line'
  Item0: 'Line'
Simple mixer control 'Rear Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 15 [48%] [-12.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 15 [48%] [-12.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Rear Mic Boost',0
  Capabilities: volume penum
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 3
  Front Left: 2 [67%] [20.00dB]
  Front Right: 2 [67%] [20.00dB]

http://about.me/adesai