[mythtv-users] How to get sound out via HDMI

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 13:09:31 UTC 2017

On Mar 7, 2017 11:23 PM, "Ashu Desai" <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> So I checked and there is partial success. The audio now does come out
>> via HDMI. However, the 5.1 doesn't work.
>>
>> It somehow thinks only 3 speakers are attached. And so F-L plays on F-L
>> speaker. Center plays on F-L speaker. F-R plays on F-R speaker. Rear-L
>> plays on F-L speaker and Rear-R plays on F-R speaker.
>>
>> Pls help...!
>>

> In the screen shot you showed it also had a selector for the number of
> channels, which was set to 2 channels. Try toggling that and see if it
> improves. Also, there is a command-line tool for alsa called speaker-test
> which can help test your setup independent of MythTV. Try it with
> "speaker-test -c 6" (the 6 is to indicate 6 channels). You may also have to
> specify the device with -D.
>
> Karl

Sorry - but that didn't do anything.

the speake-test did the exact same thing. The sound comes out of center
channel only when it thinks it's trying to go to rear and LFE.

No sound comes at all via the rear speakers

I think the speaker test was not supposed to be a solution in itself but a
way to quickly test wether a change that you've just made in sound settings
is better or worse.