[mythtv-users] How to get sound out via HDMI

Ashu Desai ashu.desai at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 01:16:42 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> >    >>> via HDMI.
>> >    >>>
>> >    >>> I tried changing the "Setup/Audio/Rescan" and tried to add the
>> >    >>> "ALSA:hdmi:CARD:NVDIA:dev=0"
>> >    >>>
>> >    >>> no sound comes out.
>> >    >>>
>> >    >>> I tried changing from dev=0 to dev=3  (from aplay -l above) -
>> did nothing.
>> >    >>>
>> >    >>> Can someone please help me get this?
>>   >>>
>>   >>>  Ash,
>>   >>>
>>   >>>  Can you fire up alsamixer to make sure the HDMI output is not
>> muted?
>>   >>>
>>   >>>  I had this issue on a fresh Debian install some years ago using an
>>   >>>  Acer Revo (Atom 330). I unmuted the HDMI output and it "just
>> worked".
>>   >>>
>>   >>>  Cheers,
>>   >>>  Nick
>>   >>>
>>   >>>  --
>>   >>>  Nick Morrott
>>   >>>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>   >>> Nick
>>   >>> Here's my 3rd try - seems email size was too big due to the
>> attachment so used this.
>>   >>> http://i67.tinypic.com/2quu1hg.png
>>   >>> Not sure which one needs to be unmuted. Pls let me know
>>  >>
>>   >>> Ash
>>  >>
>>  >>  In alsamixer press F6 and select for nvidia HDMI "HDA NVidia".
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>  Tot mails,
>>  >>    Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>>  >>
>>  >>

>>  >> Hello Hika
>> >

>>  >> I selected F6 - does it matter where I am at when selecting it? I did
>> it - and pressed escape.
>> >

>>  >> However, the next time I did alsamixer again - it again shows
>> "default" - not the HDA Nvidia
>> >

>>  >> Is there a way to save this?
>> >

>> >  It by default shows the default card. HDMI rarely is the default. At
>> >  the top of the alsamixer screen you see those keys described. If you
>> >  go to "man alsamixer" you get more info. Just unmute all mixers in the
>> >  hda nvidia screen.
>> >

>> > After saving this - do I also have to go to my Frontend Setup and
>> > change the Audio Output device from ALSA:iec958:NVIDIA:dev=0 to
>> ALSA:hdmi:NVIDIA:dev=0?
>>

>> > I am thinking yes since iec958 refers to the Optical out?
>>
>> yes iec958 does not refer to the optical out, but to your build in
>> audio card which also has an optical out. You want to use the
>> hdmi audio card on your video card instead. Hence hdmi:NVIDIA.
>>
>> The NVIDIA in both just comes from your board having a nvidia chipset

So I checked and there is partial success. The audio now does come out via
HDMI. However, the 5.1 doesn't work.

It somehow thinks only 3 speakers are attached. And so F-L plays on F-L
speaker. Center plays on F-L speaker. F-R plays on F-R speaker. Rear-L
plays on F-L speaker and Rear-R plays on F-R speaker.

Pls help...!

--
http://about.me/adesai