[mythtv-users] Low Power System

Michael Drons mdrons at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 16:12:04 UTC 2017

      From: Terry Barnaby <terry at beam.ltd.uk>
 To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
 Sent: Monday, March 6, 2017 12:33 PM
 Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Low Power System

On 06/03/17 06:44, Kirk wrote:
> I've just updated one of my MythTv frontends using an ASRock J3710-ITX
>> mini-itx board. This has an Intel Quad-Core Pentium Processor J3710built
>> onto the board and has a power usage of < 6 Watts. It has optical audio
>> out for surround sound amps etc. There is a Celeron version which is
>> slightly cheaper. Teamed with a cheap SSD SATA disk or USB stick to boot
>> from it work well with SD and HD. The video is hardware decoded in the
>> CPU's graphics chip. Using a Fedora 25 installation with the VAAPI
>> drivers uses about 15% of the CPU's watching full HD and is quick with
>> the MythTv menu's etc. Seems to work well so far.
>
> That's a decent looking board.  Couple of questions; are you running
> combined front/backend system?  How much RAM are you running?  Are you
> using a standard ATX power supply?
>
> Thanks,

I have multiple Pi3 as frontends (replaced my diskless ATOM devices) and have the mpeg2 license on all.  All of my recordings are HD and have no issues.   I have had issues using the wifi in it if the signal is not strong enough (ie right next to the AP)
My biggest complaint about the Pi3 is there is no power button.  I have these USB switched power cords that work ok.
commskip flagging would probable be the biggest issue (IMO) for the Pi3 as a backend, but I dont have any configured.  Mike