[mythtv-users] Checking status via API

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 6 18:30:40 UTC 2017

On 06/03/17 17:03, Peter Bennett wrote:

> The backend already has the feature built in. If you set "Idle shutdown
> timeout" in mythtv-setup, it will automatically shut down the server
> when idle using the "server halt command" that you specify. Is there
> some reason this does not work for you?
>
> Peter

I suspect it's turned it off because the backend doesn't currently
register API Service users as frontends/clients. So it will go idle and
shutdown even whilst the Http server is in use.

It's worth tracking https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12089 for this.

However, has the OP actually tried it ?

Even though the Kodi PVR does use some services, I believe it uses the
internal protocol for playback. If it does it right then then you may
find that it already prevents shutdown during playback.

That won't stop it shutting down whilst you're deciding what to watch
though - set a decent idle timeout.

For the same reason you may also see playback started/stopped events,
that your script could handle.
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_System_Events