[mythtv-users] Low Power System

Terry Barnaby terry at beam.ltd.uk
Sun Mar 5 15:22:43 UTC 2017

On 05/03/17 01:30, Kirk wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been a MythTV user for over 10 years but haven't kept up with
> the changing hardware.  My last iteration was a Zotac Atom 230
> combined front/backend which unfortunately died recently.
>
> We are moving off-grid (solar only) soon so I am looking for a
> low-power system to watch TV/videos and listen to mythmusic. That's
> basically all we use the Mythbox for.  Tuner is a networked HDHomerun
> and there is ~2TB of data (recordings, videos, music).
>
> Should I be looking at the latest generation of Zotac motherboards or
> am I better off looking at a laptop?  I could probably squeeze
> everything into a laptop if it had dual HDD slots.
>
> All suggestions welcome.

I've just updated one of my MythTv frontends using an ASRock J3710-ITX
mini-itx board. This has an Intel Quad-Core Pentium Processor J3710built
onto the board and has a power usage of < 6 Watts. It has optical audio
out for surround sound amps etc. There is a Celeron version which is
slightly cheaper. Teamed with a cheap SSD SATA disk or USB stick to boot
from it work well with SD and HD. The video is hardware decoded in the
CPU's graphics chip. Using a Fedora 25 installation with the VAAPI
drivers uses about 15% of the CPU's watching full HD and is quick with
the MythTv menu's etc. Seems to work well so far.

Terry