[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi deinterlacing

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Jun 26 21:16:54 UTC 2017

> On 06/26/2017 03:45 PM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>
> I don't think the deinterlacer is confused at all...  Advanced is a
> temporal deinterlacer, when you pause on a frame your asking the
> deinterlacer to do something it's not designed to do... deinterlace without
> the context of change over time.
>
> I meant confused in the sense of being given something to do that it
> cannot, like I would be confused if you put me in an airplane cockpit and
> told me to fly it, since I don't know how to do that.
>

> I'm sure there is a way to work around it (display the last rendered frame
> before the pause?)... but feeding a temporal deinterlacer a single
> interlaced frame over and over again is going to create some weirdness, it
> really needs at least two frames to do any deinterlacing... and ideally
> several frames before (and after?) to do it's job properly.
>
> Perhaps pausing should switch to line doubling, or it should loop over two
> frames?
>
> I believe the advanced deinterlacer uses three frames at a time. So I
> agree there needs to be some better way, perhaps turn off the deinterlacer
> or change it to a different one.

I started that email going one direction and changed, so my first sentence
doesn't make sense.

I originally said its not confused at all... it's doing exactly what your
telling it to do, deinterlacing a constant stream of the same frame over
and over... it just doesn't have enough data to make it pretty.