[mythtv-users] 2005 laptop stutters after upgrade from 0.27 to 0.28

Marius Schrecker marius.schrecker at lyse.net
Fri Jun 9 11:10:37 UTC 2017

On Friday, June 9, 2017 08:47 CEST, faginbagin <mythtv at hbuus.com> wrote:

Hmm, I, the OP, also have an ION system that works fine on both 0.27 and
0.28, an Acer Aspire Revo 3610. There have been hiccups in the past, the
last one was due to a nvidia driver bug that didn't allow vdpau unless
you were root. But that was fixed by either rolling back to the previous
version or upgrading to the next major nvidia driver release.

...I have been following this thread with interest, as I have also been suffering from stuttering problems since upgrading to .28. Up to now, I saw little point in interrupting with "Me too!"

However, I am very interested in faginbagin's remark about vdpau. I was not aware of this but have certainly been under the impression that the problem was due to interactions between mythtv and the nvidia driver.

I'm running on AMD opteron dual core (around 3GHz if I remember) and Nvidia GT610. A combination that was giving perfectly smooth playback up to my Ubuntu and 0.27-0.28 upgrade towards the end of last year.

The system did briefly seem to be stable and stutter free again around year-change 2016-2017 running nvidia v. 340.x (can't remember the minor version from here). Some time after that, my system started to stutter again, I think after apt upgrade pushed a minor nvidia version update - I should have been more awake at the time.

As the GT610 was a relatively popular choice at the time, it would be really good if we could together work out and publicise a recommended way to set up recent versions of MythTV with nvidia drivers covering that range of devices - in my case and for other ex-mythbuntu users it would also be good if we could bring Ubuntu into the mix when describing how to do this.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do in my now quite limited time, to provide logs or other bug-tracking info.

Best Regards

Marius