[mythtv-users] 2005 laptop stutters after upgrade from 0.27 to 0.28

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Jun 7 11:12:40 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-06-06 at 18:39 -0400, faginbagin wrote:
> Yep, I've still got a few old laptops that have been working quite
> well
> as frontends. But one isn't performing quite as well with mythtv
> 0.28
> and mythbuntu 16.04 as it is with mythtv 0.27 and mythbuntu 12.04.

Been there, done that.

> The laptop is a Dell Inspiron B130 with an Intel Celeron M 1.5 GHz
> CPU
> and an Intel Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller.

In my case it was good old, tried and true Nvidia ION.

> Has anyone else noticed a degradation in performance on older
> hardware
> after upgrading?

So, yes, most definitely.

> Any suggestions on how to identify the cause, e.g. OS module, X
> driver
> or mythtv?

I'm afraid not.  That performance problem was the last straw for me and
was what I finally needed to jump head first into using Kodi instead of
the MythFE.

I have not looked back.

As for my experience with Kodi as a replacement for the MythFE, I did
use the Kodi Myth pvr plugin for a while but it caused Kodi to be
unstable, needing restarting every few days.

I have since then abandoned using that plugin and just started
exporting all recordings from Myth to the Kodi storage group as soon as
they were done, using a post-recording hook/job.

Hopefully you can get the performance issue worked out.

Cheers,
b.