[mythtv-users] Wish My MythTv server Happy birthday!

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Thu Jun 1 02:05:56 UTC 2017

> Curious, right at 12 years on MythTV.  I remember I Initially put it up to
> record kid shows (Teletubbies, Seseme Street), but it changed how our whole
> family watched TV.  Now I'm teaching my kids how to drive, and I haven't
> found any compelling reason to leave MythTV. Mainly because you get HD OTA
> with commercial skip, which is lacking in every other solution.  Plus, it's
> a computer that can do most everything else (and much, much more) that the
> plethora of media devices out there provide.
>
> Sad to see the user base dwindling for this great product, why did you
> switch?

Mostly because we found that all we were watching was streamed content (90%
Netflix, with Plex, Crackle and NHL TV mixed in for the rest) and to make
that work in the MythTV ecosystem, and more importantly be user friendly,
was more effort than I was looking to put into it. The only thing I was
recording with MythTV was on one channel that we could stream through Plex.
Plus my MythTV backend crashed and I didn't even know for almost two weeks.
That was when I knew that I was done with MythTV.

We have no regrets with the Roku, the first one I bought because we got a
4K TV, but didn't have anything that could supply 4K, so I got the Roku
Premiere+, and we liked it so much that I got 2 more, and might get
another. It does everything that we want, the UI is straightforward, and it
just works. Add a Sideclick to the remote and it's pretty much perfect for
us.

Tom