[mythtv-users] building mythtv w/ Fedora 26 - RPM Fusion package dependencies

evade. evade at internode.on.net
Fri Jul 28 21:47:39 UTC 2017

On 29 July 2017 1:54:09 am AEST, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> Thanks so much for maintaining the mythtv packages on RPM fusion!  I
>rely
>> on them as I don't have time to maintain packages myself (and don't
>want to
>> get stuck on old software!).
>>
>> I wouldn't be running mythtv today if it weren't for you - I have
>limited
>> time and would have just bought a PVR.
>>

>> Could you please answer a question about the dependences of the
>packages?
>> I'd prefer not to have a number of addons included but if I try to
>remove
>> them dnf wants to remove all of mythtv.  Are they incorrectly marked
>as
>> dependencies of the main mythtv packages?
>>
>> For example, I'd prefer not to have the following items because the
>> clutter the menus (my family is not used to having them) and I try to
>> remove software I never use:
>> mythweather
>> mythnews
>> mythgame
>> mythzoneminder
>> mythnetvision
>>

>> Thanks!
>> evade.
>>

>Evade
>I am installing mythv after like a decade - on CentOS.
>
>Just wanted to see if I am missing anything - i just want Myth for
>Vidoes,
>not recording anything. Weather is an add-on i wouldn't mind but not a
>deal
>breaker
>
>I remember pulling stable version off git (git clone ...) and compiling
>it
>from there. All I see now is "yum install mythtv" - did they make it
>that
>easy?
>
>Apologies - didn't want to hijack your conversation - but being that
>you
>are installing as well, figured you may have just gone over what I am
>trying to.
>
>Thanks
>Ash

Hi Ash,
See Richard's last reply. He mentioned the two meta packages you need.

I thought a lot about running CentOS for the slow update cycle, but as I'm also using my media PC for other things (Kodi, btrfs filesystems, kvm) I found all the packages were just too old.
So my system is Fedora. I will have to upgrade every year, so I made an identical VM on my workstation to test with.

evade.