[mythtv-users] Video card recommendations for new build

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 01:38:54 UTC 2017

On Jul 22, 2017, 8:39 AM you said:

>I'm looking for some help picking out hardware to build a new FE/BE Myth
>box. I haven't had good luck lately buying hardware. Twice now I've done
>a bunch of research and then ordered the wrong thing. I'm getting a
>little gun-shy. That's why I'm asking for help this go round.
>
>I'd like recommendations on the video card to begin with and from there
>I think I can pick a MB and CPU.
>I prefer NVIDIA to use VDPAU. Full height is fine as this will be an ATX
>desktop size box. Cooling fan is ok too. I'm in the US and generally buy
>from Newegg but not stuck on them. This box will have 2 HD-PVR and 3 HD
>Homeruns for tuners. And it will be running current Myth. (I'm finally
>upgrading from Mythbuntu 10.04 with Myth .025.)
>
>Thanks in advance for all replies.

I have made it a practice to get cards with the latest VDPAU / Purevideo
feature sets to get the best looking video. A list that seems to be updated
is found at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

The Nvidia driver readme also has this info.

Look at the table of cards and feature sets. I got an Zotac GTX1050, which
was the cheapest with feature set H. Now a GTX1030 is available. Many cards
have fans but don't run unless hot. My sources are an HD-PVR and Homeruns
and everything looks great.

Note that the latest Nvidia drivers seem to have a refresh rate issue with
Mythtv and choose the wrong one if you let it choose automatically. I have
it stick to 59.94 Hz. Search the archives of this list for the previous
discussions about this.

Best of luck

Mark