[mythtv-users] Udev rules on upgrade?

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 19:54:27 UTC 2017

On 07/21/2017 12:47 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Now, in the old system I had udev rules to give the tuners repeatable aliases and I'm wondering, since udev got swallowed by the monster, if they have to be put somewhere else now... or if anything else in that subsystem has changed.
>
> No, AIUI you are now (under systemd law) not allowed to decide for yourself what devices get called what, that decision has been taken for you by LP and his friends at RedHat - because they are so incredibly clever that they know better than any of us how we might want to use our systems. And of course, it's so easy to go and find every instance of eth<something> in all the packages and config files and scripts that use it when something changes - much easier than just changing one line in udev rules :-/ You could try raising a bug report, but they seem to get filtered by the undocumented wontfixd ;-)
>
> Have you considered Devuan, the distribution for people that like(d) Debian but want control of their systems ?
> It still uses udev (but without the systemd screwups) for now, there are people working on alternatives. From my reading of the mailing list, vdev is usable for many devices and they'd like more people testing it - or you can still with the udev you already know (and which worked for you).
>
> PS - the Devuan project welcomes all refugees from Debian, those with admin/dev/packaging skills especially welcome.

OK, more off topic ;). but if users prefer not to use
the "predictable names", then the bottom of this
page will help:

  https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

For Mike, the following works on my 16.04 box (the subsystem_device
  and SYMLINK may be backwards, I didn't check):

$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/hauppauge.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", \
     KERNEL=="dvb?.frontend0", \
     ATTRS{subsystem_vendor}=="0x0070", \
     ATTRS{subsystem_device}=="0x7444", \
     SYMLINK+="dvb/hvr-1600"
     TAG+="systemd"

SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", \
     KERNEL=="dvb?.frontend0", \
     ATTRS{subsystem_vendor}=="0x0070", \
     ATTRS{subsystem_device}=="0x7911", \
     SYMLINK+="dvb/hvr-1250"
     TAG+="systemd"

$ sudo udevadm trigger --subsystem-match=dvb

$ ls -l  /dev/dvb/hvr-*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Jul 21 14:38 /dev/dvb/hvr-1250 -> adapter1/frontend0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Jul 21 14:38 /dev/dvb/hvr-1600 -> adapter0/frontend0

See also: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Systemd_mythbackend_Configuration

--

Bill